While most of us would love handing over our home, going on holiday and coming back to a brand-new home, the reality is much different. Building a new home, addition or renovation is something that requires plenty of homework.
Long before you appoint a builder, you should complete your own research on the multiple ins and outs of building or renovating your home. It’s worth looking into just how much budget you have to play with, whether your dream designs are feasible and how long the process will realistically take.
Once you’ve done your own research, it’s time to consult a builder. But just which one do you choose? To help you decide, we suggest asking the following questions:
- What type of building contractor licence do you hold and what is its number?
- What insurances do you have in place?
- Do you have referees?
- How much deposit do I need?
- What does your quote include?
- Will the builder be on-site or who will supervise the job?
- How many projects do you work on at once?
- Are there systems in place to ensure the job runs smoothly? Do you have a quality assurance checklist?
- What is your relevant experience? Have you built on steep or challenging blocks before?
- What are your workplace health and safety measures and how do you implement them?
- Do you have a communication system and how does it work?
These questions will help you establish the systems, processes and procedures of a builder and hopefully help highlight any gaps! Having the full picture so early in the process is only going to be positive, saving you time, money and effort down the line.
It’s vital that you select a builder that you can trust and one that will communicate with you every step of the way. They should be able to answer these questions easily and provide evidence and examples where required.
If you endeavour to get detailed and descriptive answers to all the above questions, this will esnure you are educated about the journey you are about to take.
At McGowan Homes we take pride in staying ahead of the market with the latest trends, techniques and materials. To help you with your building journey we’ve put together the 10 essential must-knows before building. Download today or sign up to our newsletter.